Jan 03

The Weekend List / 01.

Negative0-12-26(1)2Lomography CN 400, Pentax K1000

After announcing a new blog series yesterday, I would like to introduce another series called The Weekend List, which is really a revised version of my weekend posts from last year. I don’t always have something to say specifically to wrap up the week but I want to have one post each week that is a bit more personal than just sharing my film photography so I thought, hey, I like making lists! I like making and reading lists of all kinds; it’s a simple and direct way to share something about yourself. I am formally inviting you to join me in the list-making, either in the comments section or on your blog or via email, it doesn’t matter – the point is for you and I to know each other a wee bit better.

This week’s list is of one of the most fundamental loves of my life. My mother started taking us to the library when we were really young and I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t reading or wasn’t enjoying it. Here is a list of my all-time favorites (including some YA fiction that formed the foundation of my love for the written word):

Mostly Michael by Robert Kimmel Smith
- Hot Summer Nights by Elizabeth Chandler
Don’t Ask Me Why by Tania Kindersley
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder; translated by Paulette Moller
Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman
Dead Girls by Nancy Lee
Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson
– Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
The Accidental Woman by Jonathan Coe
Tara Road by Maeve Binchy

What are some of your favorite books, the ones that you can read over and over again?

comments

1. evelyn says:

This looks fun. I will be looking forward to the rest of the lists ;)

:D Yes, I’ve been thinking hard about what kind of lists I’m interested in making… some might be awkward, some probably quite vent-ish but they’re still fun! ♥♥♥

2. nice idea!
    from your favorite books, i love sophie’s world and the picture of dorian gray (read during a lovely trip in Barcelona).
    what can i read over and over again? that’s a tricky question, i’m afraid to forget some masterpieces here.. well, i’d say pride and prejudice, the catcher in the rye, the harry potter saga, gone with the wind, the unbearable lightness of being, the blue flowers, kitchen… (italian only omitted!)
    (i loooooove to make list!)

Thank you, silvia! Sophie’s World and The Picture of Dorian Gray are two of my favorites amongst my favorites, haha! I marked SO MANY quotes from both books and they still ring true and make so much sense after so many years. :)

I wanted to add Harry Potter but I must admit there were a couple I wasn’t so fond of but I agree with you, the entire series is rather fascinating. I always finish them up very quickly!

I must try The Unbearable Lightness of Being again… the first time I tried years ago, I could make it through the book, it just didn’t attract me in terms of writing. But now you’ve inspired me to give it a go again. :) Thank you for sharing your list! ♥

3. Linus says:

Seems like I can copy & paste that list into my “To read” list ;)

My memory seems to be elsewhere and I can hardly remember if I read any books. But here are some at least.

J.R.R. Tolkien – Lord of the Rings + (The lot, this shit is EPIC!)
    Douglas Adams – The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (It’s… five books? Bought them printed as one)
    Chuck Palahniuk – Fight Club
    Romeo Dallaire – Shake Hands With The Devil
    Irvine Welsh – Trainspotting
    Sudhir Venkatesh – Gang Leader For A Day

That’s what pop’s into my mind right now.

I’ve only tried (yes, tried, not read, haha) Trainspotting and I know it’s cultish and all but truth be told, I couldn’t understand half the language! That accent in words was just too much for me…. :D

I’ve also set my mind on giving Lord of the Rings and The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, I am rather fond of series! :) Thank you for giving me my new To Read list!

• Linus says:

About Trainspotting, I found that it helped to read it aloud (whisper) to myself, trying to sound like Sean Connor :) After a few chapters I got into it, and could stop whispering.

I’m looking forward to the summer, which probably is the next time I’ll read something else than “school books”. Mo Yan – Red Sorghum is next up!

• Linus says:

I got the idea that maybe I should point out something by a swedish author… but what I like doesn’t seem to be available in English (and assumed then, not in Chinese). But… I would recommend stuff by Jonas Gardell. Jan Guillou’s Evil (Ondskan) does make it on that list above. It’s sort of an biography that also have been turned in to a movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq78hdCILaI). I think his series about Arn has been translated though.

Hahaha, I did that too with Trainspotting but unfortunately there were some things that I couldn’t even make out reading them out loud.. :D Thanks for the Swedish recommendations!

4. Erin says:

Oooh I’m so excited about both of your new projects!
    Sadly I haven’t read any of the books you’ve listed but I’d love to read Bridge to Terabithia – I loved the movie.

Erin // http://www.erinoxnam.com/

So glad you like this idea, Erin! Bridge to Terabithia is a beautiful book, more so than the movie (although I did love it entirely) so you definitely must give it a try! ♥♥♥

5. Mamie says:

I would love to join you in this project starting next week. :) I love Winterson’s “Written On The Body” as well. I even made a paper on it in college. It is interesting to know that we have few things in common. Happy New Year, Katie! ♡

Yay for Mamie! ♥♥♥

I was introduced to Jeanette Winterson by Evelyn and I’ve tried to read every of her book since. Written on the Body is possibly the most passionate, sexiest, realistic book I’ve ever read, love it! I’m sooo curious about your paper!

Happy new year to you too :) :) :)

• Mamie says:

I will try to let you read it, but I am little bashful. :) I just started my own list, Katie! Thank you for letting me do it as well. You are so kind. ♡

Please don’t say that! It’s not an original idea and it’s more fun if you’re doing it too. :) Anyway, do share the lists you’re comfortable with sharing but no pressure! It’s a good way to get to know yourself better too :D

6. Arvee says:

I’m only familiar with the Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray in your list. ;)

I read a lot of books last year and years before that. haha. Some of my favorites would be the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson series. ♥

So you’re a fan of series huh? :) I’ve never read Percy Jackson before, only caught a bit of the movies. Will have to check them out soon. Did you enjoy The Picture of Dorian Gray? When I read it years ago I was so blown away by Wilde’s language, so beautiful! :D

7. Tiffany says:

This list thingy is so fun! Sadly, i’ve yet to read any of the titles on the list. Sophie’s World has been sitting on my to-read list for a long while… maybe it’s time to really get started on it! haha.

Here are some of my favourites:

Anthony Burgess – A Clockwork Orange
    Tom Robbins – Jitterbug Perfume
    Haruki Murakami – The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
    Milan Kundera – The Unbearable Lightness of Being
    Jonathan Safran Foer – Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
    George Orwell – 1984

Happy new year Katie! I miss Taiwan!

So glad you find it fun! I thought maybe no one would share their lists with me and I was going to have a list monologue hahaha!

Sophie’s World is really cool, I love it when you can learn new facts through fiction and this book will give you so much to think about. I bought Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close years before the movie came on – for some reason I started but never made it very far. After watching the movie I went back to it and finished it very quickly. Fell in love! :)

I also very much want to finish 1984 but only ever read a digital version, which in my opinion just isn’t a way to read a book! I need to buy a copy of the real thing soon. :)

Will definitely look up your other favorites – happy new year and come back soon!

8. Diogo Silva says:

Katie, I wanted to comment on your post about a cafe, but I can’t, it’s something going on… so I leave here if you don’t mind.
    well, this cafe is really stunning. The part I liked most was the national geographic magazines national and the thing with Bob Marley!

So sorry about that Diogo! The error happened because the Chinese characters in the title were included in the url link and the site cannot process the Chinese characters.

The cafe is really beautiful and in the middle of nature, which is great! I laughed when I saw the Bob Marley album because it was so appropriate for the vibe of the place. :D

9. Sara says:

It is true, like Diogo, i have been trying to comment on the post above but an error like ‘bad gateway 404′ keeps happening! :/
    In some ways,that cafe seems like my house ahahah <3

As for books i started to read at 5 ,my sister used to read to me in bed and all my childhood ,teens and twenties are all full of books,but now that i am in my old age aahaha,the thirties i have not find that much urge to read and when i do i read the same things over and over and i love poetry so much <3
    i will try to remember specific stuff to tell you,my dear!

Oops, my bad! :) The error happened because the Chinese characters in the title were included in the url link and the site cannot process the Chinese characters. I would LOVE to visit your house then, hahaha!

Yes, I think as I grow older I also seek the comfort of a book I know for sure I will enjoy, even the first two books in my list from my childhood, I have read them from front to back for many, many times!

10. Antonella says:

On my bedside table I always keep a copy (well, actually two copies… one in Italian and one in English) of Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

11. awono says:

I will make a list too(once I get this internet thing working):-D
    And your list of books gives me a new list(including the comment section). Right now I’m on another Murakami:-)

I was wondering why you haven’t updated your blog recently, miss your photographs very much! :) Please share your list soon, it’s always important to have a to-read list and I have a really cool one thanks to all of you!