Jul 11

Buy A Ticket To Travel.

Negative0-06-31(1)2Ferrania Solaris 200, Pentax K1000

Buy a cheap used camera. Don’t spend the money on a “good camera”. Instead, buy more films and buy a ticket to travel. That’s what make good pictures.

These words by The Sleeper and the Dreamer (via Shooting Film), meant for beginners on film photography, resonate so well. I can’t even keep count on how many times I’ve said, “But you can buy a plane ticket with that money!” when any of my friends (or myself) are dwelling on an unnecessary purchase. It doesn’t even have to be a ticket to another country – buy yourself a bus ticket, train ticket, boat ticket – just go somewhere you’ve never been with your new old camera. Good things will happen.

comments

1. April says:

I’ve been following your blog for months now, but this is the first time I’m going to unlurk myself just to say that entry made a huge impact to me as well :) And I totally relate to dwelling on unnecessary purchases, but what I usually say is “But I could buy lots of rolls of film with that money!” :D

Thank you for keeping up with this site, Katie! Your film and camera guides really do help a lot for a beginner like me :)

Thank you for unlurking, April, hahaha! I’m always really excited to discover new blogs that feature film photography. Already got yours in my reader and really enjoying the photographs!

I’m so glad you found this blog helpful :)

2. Nicole says:

So inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

3. Yumi says:

Aah, this is so true. I’ve been guilty of getting sucked into gear obsession in the past. It’s funny because despite having a very “fancy” DSLR, the only camera that’s been seeing any action from my collection for at least 2 months is my $25 Canon FTb from ebay. It’s my child, goes everywhere with me now. :)

Isn’t it funny how it all works out? Although tons of people would argue that film + processing could become real expensive but I just find the satisfaction so much more worth it!

4. Tammy says:

I’m still on the hunt for a good film camera (with lots of help from your guide!) but I completely agree with you. Photos make the best souvenirs and tell lots of stories.

P.S. I hope you aren’t affected by the typhoon there in Taiwan. Stay safe!

Makes me want to travel to somewhere again! No travel plans for July as of yet… haha!

I hope you find your camera soon! P.S. Will stay safe, thank you so much! :)

5. sara says:

Such a great post,Katie :)

The obvious is always being forgotten and i love when i read something that helps me get things into perspective <3

(i just book vacations at work for the end of September and beginning of August.,hope i will get a ticket somewhere nice)

I’m so jealous! :D I’m sure you’ll get to go to some lovely places and come back with beautiful pictures for us to see.

Thank you for your kind words about this post – I also really, really love “being inspired”, it’s not such an easy emotion to come by. :)

6. evelyn says:

But of course :)
    Buy a ticket to somewhere, anywhere, be curious, and the photos will turn out just fine.

7. Anna says:

Excellent advice.
    Often it’s so much more about seeing and taking in a new place with wide curious eyes… even if it is through a cheap film camera.