Apr 11

5 Things I Love About Film.

Negative0-06-06(1)Agfa Vista Plus 200, Canon FTb

A few weeks ago I submitted some self-reflection pictures I took for the Me and my film cameras column on one of my favorite film photography blogs Shooting Film. Consequently, I was invited to share my thoughts for another column on their blog to list 5 things I love about film. What are the things you love about film? :)

comments

1. Sara says:

i like that it has texture,digital photos almost always seem bi-dimensional,i love the expectation before getting a roll developed ah god i think i love everything except the fact that it’s getting very expensive to develop film and the places that do so in Portugal are not very professional dealing with it!

I think the cost is what bugs people the most, let’s hope enough people shoot film again so that costs may go down again!

I’m not sure if I’ll ever develop my own photographs but I do plan to own a good scanner at some point.

2. ahomira says:

I love the vintagey effect of film photos, the surprises you get after developing a film because most probably you have forgotten the subjects that you shot, the light leaks, over exposure, under exposure and double exposures add more surprises to the photo and yeah Sara is right, developing film is getting expensive and the photo labs are now hard to find, some are even closing down. so let’s revive film and continue loving it! <3

I agree with you completely, I almost always forget what I’ve taken in a roll of film and absolutely love to be surprised by myself when I get them back. :)

3. Tammy says:

Film makes you think about your relationship with the subject. What angle you want to shoot from, what kind of light you want, etc. Not to say that digital doesn’t do the same exact things. It does but you don’t have to think too much about it, in my opinion.

Sometimes I also wonder what people who only use digital think about us when we talk about how much depth film has. It’s not like you cannot produce beautiful images with digital photography but I do wonder if they go through the same thought processes/share the same anticipation as we do with film.

• tammy says:

I took a digital photography class last year out of fun and the professor was an advocate of digital versus film which he’d started with. For me it was a big surprise because film has so much depth as you said and you would think someone who started with the medium knew what that meant. But I guess he was right in that when it comes to digital, you can pretty much get rid of any of the imperfections and cover up your mistakes. You can simply delete whatever you don’t like. The delete button is like a security blanket, I think.