Mar 05

Pentax K1000.

Negative0-16-11A(1)

I’ve been meaning to add another SLR to my film camera collection for some time now and it was always a choice between a Nikon or a Pentax. Two weeks ago, I found a really good deal on Ebay for a Pentax K1000 in excellent condition and it finally arrived yesterday! Now, I’ve seen a lot of loveliness made with this camera (specifically here and here) and was really excited to find out what it could do in my hands. I immediately pop in my usual 12-exposure Ferrania Solaris 400 (tip: always keep a stash of cheap, expired 12-exposure films as test rolls!) and snapped away with my always-ready canine model. In my hastiness, I kept the shutter speed at 1/60 – which is a speed I almost always shoot at – and you can tell by the overexposure that the harsh afternoon sunlight did not agree with me. That said, I’m just plain happy that the camera works fine and can’t wait to use it more!

Negative0-10-5A(1)

Negative0-08-3A(1)

Negative0-11-6A(1)

Negative0-13-8A(1)

Negative0-09-4A(1)

Negative0-15-10A(1)

Negative0-18-13A(1)

Negative0-17-12A(1)Ferrania Solaris 400 (expired), Pentax K1000

comments

1. Ugh, these are amazing! I have an old Pentax and I did a test roll but the place couldn’t make prints because the of an issue with the film, though I can clearly see my pictures came out. I can’t wait to try it again!

Oh yes, I always remembered that you have a Pentax too and was wondering how it was coming with your film photography. It’s too bad about the torn film but I’m glad the outcome is encouraging you to keep at it! Can’t wait to see you next roll. :)

They look great! They weren’t as overexposed as I was expecting, admittedly. I love the first one. Hand and paw. So adorable. The carpet or rug or whatever is of a really cool pattern! Have fun with the new camera. :)

3. Tanit says:

Another! so cool… I’ve been meaning to buy a compact and a square one… but I can’t decide and I don’t want to spend a lot of money. Any new camera is a treat!

Oh, I’ve been toying with the idea of a square one too :)

It takes some time to hunt down affordable cameras for me, I’ve missed many a bidding because I don’t keep track!

4. evelyn says:

i think mimi didn’t agree with you either, judging from her expression. lol.

5. ahomira says:

Which one is better? the Canon Ftb or that Pentax K1000? I’m wanting to get an SLR film camera too.

I can’t exactly tell yet since I’ve only developed a test roll so far. I’ll get back to you as soon as I’ve had more photos from it. :)

6. Emanuele says:

Hey Katie,
    Lovely blog, I came here after reading the article on ShootingFilm.net

As you shoot with a K1000 I thought you might like to know about the tips, tricks and hacks I put together for the K1000:

Let me know what you think!

Emanuele
    about.me/efaja
    AndBeThere.com/photography

Hi Emanuele,

Thanks for dropping by! Believe it or not, I actually have already read your K1000 article while I was still waiting for the camera to arrive – thank you so much for pointing out the Shutter Ready Indicator, I would never have realized that myself! :)